Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cloth Dipes and Wipes!

This is my latest obsession.  Researching ALL the different types, brands and ways of cloth diapering.  It sure has come a LONG way since the days of a flat diaper and pins!  There are so many options out there.  I have actually been researching this topic since finding out I was pregnant because I knew the information would be overwhelming...BOY, was I right!!  I think I may have made a decision.  I wanted to find something that would be easy to use for both Rob and I.  I settled of something referred to as a "One Size".  This means that we will be able to use the same diapers from 7-35lbs.  This means we only have to buy them once and you re-size them by using snaps as the baby gets bigger.  (pretty cool)  You just stuff a pocket inside the diaper with a absorbent pad and then put the diaper on pretty similar to they way you would with a disposable.  This is what sold me on them..not a bunch of pieces to keep together, no diaper covers, pins, straps..... These are called Tiny Tush Elite One Size....Tiny Tush, CUTE!!  To re size you just snap the front snaps together to make it smaller and make it tighter by the snaps around the waist....so easy a caveman could do it!!
 

 
I will need to get about 2 dozen of these to start with a newborn (since they go all day and night) and will have to wash every other day.  As she gets older and goes less often the supply will last longer.  So, at about $18 a piece it is a large start up fee BUT will save us at least $1,500 in diapers by potty training time.  Another possible plus is earlier potty training by using cloth she will feel wetness....though some do not care at all about wetness (RYLAN).  It is also said to be good for the environment by not filling the land fills with disposable diapers that will last long after I am gone, some will argue that the water usage is just as bad...who really knows?  I have read studies and have decided that I think this is a smart choice for us.  I am home to do the work...more laundry, but this laundry will be easy and necessary so I won't be able to put it off.  I will also feel better about not buying diapers every time I turn around and throwing them in the trash.  Literally throwing our money in the trash!  I am going to make my own cloth wipes too!  Why not??  No need to waste money on those when I can do it for super cheap and super easy!  I'm going to get some used receiving blankets and some terry cloth towels from thrift stores/yard sales.  Cut them both into 8"x 8" squares, sew them back to back and BAM a cloth wipe with a soft side and a more heavy duty side.  I can make a few dozen of these for like $30 that will last for a long time and be thrown in the diaper pail along with the diapers.  You can use plain warm water or make a homemade wipe solution of water and gentle homeopathic oils and baby wash.  All I need is to get a sewing machine or borrow mom's. 
 
I am excited about this and can't wait to get crafty with it :) Can you tell?

No comments: